Pets instinctively understand the spa lifestyle. While their human companions overcrowd the day with tasks, incubating stress and anxiety, pets know what it takes to stay happy, healthy and relaxed:
- Be curious about the world around you
- Take time to play every day
- Live in the moment
- Run to greet your loved ones when they come home
- Take naps and stretch often
- Eat with enthusiasm, savoring every bite
- Relish affection, getting back rubs whenever you can
- Find the joy in ordinary things
- Forgive quickly, never holding grudges
- When you’re happy, show it
- Look forward to getting exercise and going outside
When it comes to balancing mind, body and spirit, pets may be wiser than we think. They’re accepting and not judgmental, and they know how to unwind – even when times get tough. A suddenly stressed cat will puff up, spit and look scary; but take away the stress, and the furry fireball purrs, curls up and takes a snooze – an important recovery period that allows her to restore energy and build up some reserve for the next item of stress that comes along. People, on the other hand, tend to accumulate stress and hold onto it for the rest of the day, without allowing ourselves the benefit of recovery time.
Pets know when it’s okay to take your time. They rarely run unless they need to get somewhere or want to play. So take a lesson from your four-legged friend. You’ll accomplish more and feel better.
Speed and stress are close companions. Shake them off and turn to the companions who understand best how to find the joy in each and every moment. You couldn’t have a better teacher.